Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Public Speaking "101"

Have you ever stood up in front of your class to read an essay or speech, but felt sick to your stomach with fear? I bet you wish you had a Public Speaking classes to help prepare you for days like this don't you? Well guess what? I had one today!!!!! A group of us from Harlem Live attended a public speaking class hosted by Minnette Colman. This class was very interesting and it had a very effective message.
The message that was sent was that we are not just a group of bratty children, we are a group of children with a purpose. We can do whatever we want if we set our minds to it and believe in ourselves. The most important tips in this meeting today were: Be able to present yourself in a good manner (dress appropriately), do not apologize when you do not know certain facts for a specific question, and mingle with EVERYONE!!!!!
I really liked this class because it taught me things i could have used many times in school, and I can still use them now. I hope to have many more classes like this including outside of Harlem Live. This class taught me A LOT, and hopefully I wont feel sick when I present another essay in school!!

No comments: